Patrick will be starring in the Last Cyclist at the West End Theater this May - June. Click here for info

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What would your ultimate Role be?

I've been asked this question several times now.  A few times at auditions, and a few interviews.  I'm not sure how I would have answered this 10 years ago, or even 5, but the more I sit down with it the stronger my answer becomes.  So basically:

What would your ideal role be, how would you like to ideally see your career unfolding?

So for me?  I would love to have a career on a scifi show, or film.  Or series of films.  I grew up a big fan of scifi. Yes yes, I was that little trekker who remembers standing in line for Star Trek IV.  And in fact I think that show had a stronger impact on my youth than Star Wars.  Which I came to after my discovery of Kirk's ship.  So I'm a fan.  Big deal.  Why would I want a career in this genre?  Because its such a small world.  A very tight knit family.  How many times do you watch a show within the genre and think...woa, that's so-and-so from that other show?  Let's look at one of my favorite SciFi Actors...Jewel Staite.  Personally I think she is one of the most adorable people out there.  And a huge fan of food.  Yeah.  Food.  Just food.  I love food too.  So bam..something in common.  But with Jewel I feel like every time I turn around she's in another show I love and watch.
HER!  

So let me see how this played out.  I may have "discovered" her on Flash Forward.  You remember?  Zaney kids show from the mid 90's.  It was one of those shows I watched because I kept thinking...I can do that.  That's me!  But alas, I wasn't cast.  We're also close in age, so I've kinda grown up with her. (which also makes me mad cause look where she is being 3 years younger than me.  grr)  This is becoming an article about the life and times of Miss Staite and not an answer to the question.  I'll continue.  So Firefly of course.  And in tern Serenity.  Then she popped up in Stargate Atlantis.  And I love me some Stargate.  (of which I thank and curse my best friend for.  She opened my eyes to it) Then I backtracked a bit and started watching Dead Like Me..thank you hulu and bam..Jewel Staite.  Poppin' in to say hello.  Then it was an ep of Warehouse 13, and then the film Call Me Mrs. Miracle.  My point being with all this...look at all the work shes done and most of it within this genre.  I could list more.  Like her Stargate compatriots Ben Broweder and Claudia Black who prior to that were in Farscape together.  Or honestly anyone. Anywhere that has ever done SciFi.  

The community just embraces these actors. And the studios, and the casting directors.  I think they start to see them as SciFi actors and so of course head in that direction.  And without sounding like a douche (much like an actor on the subway earlier today who will be the subject of an entire blog post possibly tomorrow) I think the fan support is amazing.  To have that many people behind you?  Amazing.  Look at all the Star Trek fans that rallied to name the first Space Shuttle the Enterprise.

So that's my answer and a brief-ish why.  I'd love to be a part of that community and that world.  And I would love to give back to that world that fed so many of my childhood dreams.  


So now dear readers I pose the same question to you?  What Role would be your ideal role, or how would you like your career to unfold?

4 comments:

  1. Even though I am a big fan sci-fi and fantasy, no matter what genre, I'd love to make a career of playing non-stereotypical women who are not just sidekicks or mothers/healers or love interests but fully developed characters with stories in their own right. If you look at what's on offer for actresses, that's a pretty wild dream! Better get writing ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see what I can come up with!

    I think that's an achievable goal for you. You're correct about the current state of female characters. Across the board there isn't much that's good out there right now as it is.

    But I have faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am shocked about your sci fi dreams...not! I love that. I would watch you kick tush in any sci fi anything. I think you would be awesome with your knack for quick witted banter in between. :)

    I would love to start out my career in obscure indie movies that bring about critical acclaim and awesome female roles (a la "Rachel Getting Married" or "Blue Valentine") and then land a successful (key word) sitcom as a smart, sassy female lead. I would kill a person to be on an ongoing sitcom. Comedy/drama/collaboration/family/a paycheck. Amazeballls.

    Let's get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh heck yeah Sarah. I could see you excelling in a sit com. Anything in front of a live studio audience. And I know exactly what you mean about the Comedy/drama/collaboration/family/a paycheck I think it's what we're all looking for.

    ReplyDelete