Patrick will be starring in the Last Cyclist at the West End Theater this May - June. Click here for info

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Actors' Equity

Ah, the elusive equity card.

We're all striving for it whether or not we claim to.

So many of us have been told to stay non-union for as long as possible. Don't become equity. But deep down we all want access to that lounge and the ability to add our names to official lists at auditions.

Here is the run down.
If you're not union, like me, you can wake up as early as you want. Be the first person on line before any audition. You could have been waiting out in the cold or rain (like i did yesterday) since 7:30 in the morning. When the doors finally open and you're allowed in, ALL equity members get to sign up first.

Thats how it works. So if you're lucky you get seen. If too many equity members show up you have no shot at even auditioning. So you get to add your headshot to an ever increasing pile of young starving artists.


Some theaters and companies hold non-union auditions. Which WE LOVE. THANK YOU!

But how to become equity? How can you do it when the only way to be seen is to be a part of the union. And the only way to be a part of the union is to get in a union show? The great Actor Catch 22.

Of course there truly is plenty of non-union work out there. And i love theater enough to do it. But my goal is to be able to support myself working as an actor. Only a few things pay enough for me to take some extra time off of my horrid day job. But for the most part I'm working interminably long hours for no pay. And often times no recognition.

I wouldn't give up this life for anything. But i'm ready for the next tier of my career. I just don't know how to get there yet.

So for now i continue to wait in lines on cold rainy days praying I'll be seen and then be worth enough for the producers to allow me in.

I'll see you in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment